When a payment is marked as pending on the Administrative side, it will be displayed in the Payments list view as a Pending Payment until the money is collected. The Pending Payments in the list view are highlighted in red. They can be viewed from the Operations section of the system Dashboard or by going to Finance > Payments.
It is recommended to collect pending payments first and have the system update the balance before any additional payments are applied to the remaining amount owed.
Note: The Payer needs to be in the system first before any payment can be completed for that person. When a user is added to the Admin side of the system, the only required fields are first and last name. When creating payments from the Admin side, it can be helpful to contact information in case of a payment failure (i.e. returned ACH or declined credit card).
To Collect a Pending Payment, follow these steps:
- Select Finance > Payments or select the Pending Payments View button on the system Dashboard.
- Select the Pending Payment to be collected. Note: If a paticular payment is paying for multiple items, it is recommended to select the check boxes and collect them all at once.
- Select Collect Payment.
- Complete the Collect Payments form. Payer Name, Payment Method and Amount are required. Customer and Staff notes are optional.
- Ensure the dollar amount is correct then select Process Payment.
- If the payer has an email address in the system, an automatic receipt email will be sent. If a printed receipt is needed, select Print Receipt on the right side of the screen to create a PDF.
If you are never going to collect the pending payment amount for a Course enrollment (i.e scholarship, pro-rating, writing off the amount due, etc), staff would need to modify the Enrollment to adjust down the cost of the class so it no longer reflects the pending payment amount due. There are several ways to access the Enrollment that is attached to the Pending Payment.
To adjust the Total Class Cost, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Enrollment or the Pending Payment (i.e. Select View on the Dashboard or point to Finance > Select Payments >Select Show Payment for the desired one).
- Select the magnifying glass next to the line item with the Enrollment details so you are viewing the Enrollment Show Page
- Select Modify.
- Select Add Adjustment.
- Complete the required Adjustment fields. The Name/Reason field is the reason for the adjustment (i.e. Waiving Pending Payment, Adjusting Class Cost). The Type is Credit. The Additional Type is Miscellaneous.
- Select Save.
The Pending Payment will no longer be displayed to be collected on the enrollment. The Total Cost of the class will reflect the adjusted price as well as any previous payments that had been made.