Districts using the Child Care Attendance app on the iPad to capture parent Sign-In/Out will benefit from the system's automated late pick-up and early drop-off fees. Within each Program's Season, penalty fees can be automated for students who are signed in prior to a Site's start time or signed out past the end time. The system considers early drop-off and late pick-up based on the times in the fields of Start Time and End Time as displayed on the Facility Request of each Site Section.
When an automatic late pick-up or early drop-off is created for a Child Care Season, the system looks only at the previous day's attendance to determine whether a fee adjustment should be added to an account.
Automated late pick-up and early drop-off fees are added only to accounts when a parent or authorized pick-up is signing a student in or out. The automated late pick-up and early drop-off fees will not be added if a staff person is marking a student in or out. If a fee adjustment is added to an account, it will show the status of 'not posted' on the account until the next invoice is run.
When setting up the automated fees and entering data in the Minutes Late Range fields, it can be helpful to refer to the following example parameters:
- 1-15 minutes = 60 seconds to 14:59 minute late, the fee will apply (parents get a 59 second buffer)
- 0-15 minutes = 1 second to 14:59 minutes late, the fee will apply
- 15-30 minutes = 15:01 minutes to 29:59 minutes late, the fee will apply
- 1-15 minutes is a $1/minute fee AND 16-30 minutes is $2/minute fee = parents who sign out 15:30 minutes late do not get charged a fee because there is no parameter for that. To cover that range, the parameters should read 1-15 minutes late is $1/minute fee AND 15-30 minutes late is $2/minute fee.
Early Arrival and Late Pick-up Fee Adjustments may be set up in the following ways:
A flat fee is charged based on whatever range the late minute value is set. For each time range increment that they are late, you would enter the amount you want them to be charged. For example, if you want to charge $5 for every 15 minutes someone is late based on the end time of the site section, you would set it up as follows:
- 1-15 minutes late = they are charged a total fee of $5 so enter $5 in the Amount field
- 15-30 minutes late = they are charged a total fee of $10 so enter $10 in the Amount field
- 30-45 minutes late = they are charged a total fee of $15 so enter $15 in the Amount field
- 45-60 minutes late = they are charged a total fee of $20 so enter $20 in the Amount field
A fee is charged per # of minutes and grouped. An example fee structure might be:
- 0-15 minutes late = a charge of $1/min
- 15-30 minutes late = a charge of $2/min
Example results of the above fee structure:
- If a parent signs their child out of the section 10 minutes late, a $10 fee adjustment is added to their Account to appear on the next invoice [10 * $1 = $10]
- If a parent signs their child out of the section 20 minutes late, a $25 fee adjustment is added to their Account to appear on the next invoice [(15 * $1) + (5 * $2)] = $25
- If a parent signs their child out of the section 45 minutes late, a $45 fee adjustment is added to their Account to appear on the next invoice [(15 * $1) + (15 * $2)] = $45 . The system would not charge additional per minute since $2 is the max in the above fee structure
Combining Flat Fees and Per Minute Fees
Flat fees and per minute fees may be combined so that the system charges an Account the flat amount plus the per minute logic. For example, a district could have a $10 flat fee plus $1/minute after 0 minutes. In this example below, both the flat fee and the per minute will no longer be charged after 60 minutes. The maximum anyone would be charged is $70 if they are 60 minutes late ($10 flat + $60 for the 60 minutes).
Another example is charging a flat fee up front then being charged an additional per minute fee on top of the initial flat fee. For that set up, you would make the flat fee end at the same time as the per minute fee. The per minute fee would reflect a start time when you want that to start being assessed. In the sample below, the flat fee starts at 5 minutes. The per minute starts after they are 15 minutes late. If someone was 20 minutes late they would be assessed $20 [$15 flat + (5 * $1/min)]. If you don't have the overlapping end time, the flat fee stops when the per minute fee starts.
Setting up Automatic Late Pick-up and/or Early Drop-off Fee Adjustments
- Point to Child Care
- Select Seasons
- Find and select the Season to add automated late pick-up and/or early drop-off fee adjustments to.
- Select Modify Season.
- Scroll to the Late Pick-up Fees or the Early Arrival Fees section and select the Add Late Pick-up Fees or the Add Early Arrival Fees button.
- Add the flat fee and/or per minute rules.
- Select Save.