Administrative Users can send text messages directly from the system. Text messages are meant to be a short message (one or two sentences long) and only sent to cell phone numbers that have opted into receiving texts. The text will be sent to attendees and for children, it will go to people under their relationships that are listed as both living with the child and emergency contact (the person must reflect both criteria).
When a profile is being created online, there is an option for each phone number regarding Can Receive Text Messages to allow someone to opt out of receiving the notifications. On the Administrative side, there is a checkbox that can also be disabled for Can Receive SMS. To help ensure that people are included with emergency communications, the default is to be opted-in (the person has to decide to opt-out).
It is recommended that the text message feature only be used for urgent messages and not for messages around marketing, registration or account balances. Cell phone owners often remove their number from a text distribution list when programs do not use for urgent situations. Instead, please use email to communicate any marketing, registration and/or account balance messages.
When sending text messages, please consider FCC laws and rules regarding text messages. Select here to view the Federal Communication Commission's Text Message Guide. Following FCC rules, users may reply STOP to be removed from text lists by setting Receive SMS to No in their record. To opt back in to receiving text messages, the user must text the word START to the number they initially opted out of.
Use the following steps to send a SMS/Text Message:
- Navigate to the appropriate list view (Child Care > Sites, Courses > Enrollments, ECFE > Course Sections, etc) and filter as needed.
- Once you have the appropriate list created, select the Connect button (upper left near your name)
- Select Send Text Message (SMS).
- In the Text Message Contents field, type in your message. By default, the district's Abbreviated Name will be displayed and can not be removed from the message (you can change the Abbreviated Name under System Preferences). If you copy/paste a message, it can only be done from a file with TXT format (copying from Word or another source like Grammarly can add formatting that can cause the text not to send). Please note, this field allows for a message of 480 characters/spaces.
- When ready to send, select Send Text Message.
There is a record of the text under the Communications tab of each recipient's profile. The text messaging feature sends out texts every 15 minutes so you may see a delay when viewing the Communications tab for each record. There are not any system reports for all texts that are sent.
Tracking Receive SMS
There is a column under Contacts > People for Receive SMS. Staff can filter that list to see who is set to not receive text messages. In Child Care or Courses, staff can create a Roster report and include the column of Receive SMS. If a parent has opted out, No will be displayed in the report column Those that should receive texts will display Yes in that column.